Pages

Monday, March 11, 2013

Nachos (inspired by Crudessence Book)

Hi all, well this post might me a bit long to go through all the process, but let me tell you, it's really worth the effort. I tried this recipe for the first time a while ago and something horrible happened, when everything was in the blender and I was ready the blender broke, everything was running from the bottom omg i never tried to recuperate something to fast in my life lol. 

So my first batch was good, people who tasted it said so, but the texture was off, too crude for my taste.  Because i didn't know how much water I had lost I estimated and put way too much flax seed because I wasn't sure if I was to measure  2,5 cup before or after for 2,5 cups of grounded flax! So now that i'm much wiser (lol as if) here it is step by step with comments. 

REALLY IMPORTANT: 
  1. Read everything before starting any of this or you might be sorry later and take your time AND 
  2. This is not my creation it's from the French book Crudessence (it will be available in English in Spring or Summer 2013)
You will need : blender, dehydrator, Teflex sheets (i really don't know how much time if you're doing it in an oven but search it, i'm sure it takes no time at all)

45 min to prepare, dehydrate 16 hours at 40C (105F) (8 hours, turn then 8 hours), 160 nachos
Ingredients:
  • 6 tablespoon of dried whole rosemary 
    • had only 3 so I replaced the 3 missing by:
      • 1/2 teaspoon of whole cumin
      • 1/2 teaspoon of dried whole fennel
      • 1/2 teaspoon of sage
      • 1/2 teaspoon of oregano
      • 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon of parsley
      • 1 tablespoon of basil
  • 2,5 cusp of grounded flax seed (yes you ground first then measure)
    • I had only 2 cups so I added:
      • 1/4 cup of chia
      • 1/2 tablespoon of spyllium
  • 1/2 cup of red onions not cut too much
  • 4 cups of water (it's better if it's filtered, but if you bake in over I guess it doesn't matter)
  • 1,5 cups of dried tomatoes
  • 3 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar 
  • 1/2 tablespoon of sea salt (no it's not too much, I didn't follow the instruction first time and it lacked salt even with the dried tomatoes)
  • 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon of grounded black pepper
  • 1/4 teaspoon of cayenne pepper (i've put a very full 1/4, last time i found it not spicy enough, but it's your call)

Roughly ground half of the (here you have beforehand mixed what replaces the rosemary if you are making my modified version) rosemary and put aside.


Put what's left of the rosemary and all of the other ingredient EXCEPT the grounded flax and the roughly grounded rosemary previously put aside (put those 2 together in a bowl). Blend to a smooth puree




Put the puree in a BIG bowl and manually incorporate (i used a big spoon) the grounded flax and rosemary.





Put 1 cup of the mixture on a Teflex sheet and spread evenly with a spatula. (as you work on the next few sheet you will see that what's in the bowl has started to thicken, normal, because of the flax - and if you used my modification because of the chia too -, you can add a bit of water if you want, A BIT)





With the spatula, lightly draw32 triangles (4 x 4 squares cut in half) (i didn't do it that way because I want bigger nachos)

Repeat with the next tray

Put in dehydrator at 40C (105F) for 16 hours. Turn after half of cycle is done (8 hours). Nachos should be ready when completely dry and crack (it's not suppose to bend but snap)

Can be kept 2 months at room temperature in hermetic container.


After 2 hour
Tada!

Yummy!




No comments:

Post a Comment