Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Sin Carne "Meatballs"


This is the second time I make this recipe, really good honestly and surprising how it has a “meaty” taste to it. Lols really!  I will also make this week another recipe with those sin carne balls putting it on a stick with a teriyaki sauce. Read everything before starting.

Soak nuts: 8 hours
Preparation : about 30 minutes
Dehydrating: 12 hours
22 balls

¼ cup of sunflower nuts
2 table spoon of sunflower oil
2 table spoon apple cider vinegar
1 teaspoon tamari sauce (no wheat)
1/3 cup shredded carrots
1/3 cup finely chopped cubes of celery
1 teaspoon of garlic pure OR 1 glove of garlic
1/3 cup of finely chopped onions (I used the white of my green onions)
¼ cup of chopped parsley
3 tablespoon of chives (didn’t have any)
1 table spoon of chili powder
3 tablespoon of nutritional yeast
½ teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
6 tablespoon of grounded sunflower nuts (I skipped that, didn't want the crunchy factor)

Soak the nuts for 8 hours, rinse, throw away water.

In food processor, blend the nuts, oil, vinegar and tamari to butter consistency (I tried my best but after 12 minutes of processing I had enough), put aside (I decided to chop my carrots and celery with a knife, if you do that forget about putting aside)

In food processor, chop finely carrots and celery but careful not to “puree” it. (I don’t do that part)

In a big bowl, mix everything together with your hands to make a uniform paste.
In the palm of your hand, make small balls of approx. 1 ½ tablespoon (20g). Oil your hands if need be.

VoilĂ ! Taste amazing!
Put balls in dehydrator at 40C (105F) for 12 hours (I usually put the first 45 min at 135 and then 105 to be sure I actually have 105 – something about the time it takes the dehydrator to actually get to 105; OR, if this bothers you, start it empty at 135 while preparing everything and take down to 105 when you are ready to put the balls in – you do it like you prefer or not at all of course)

The balls have to be a bit hard on the outside but still tender on the inside.

Can be kept from 5 to 7 days in the fridge in hermetic container.






No comments:

Post a Comment